Thursday 3 June 2010

Thing 3

What is a late-late duty for if not finally getting round to actually writing something on this blog? I've spent a few hours messing about with this site and decided that it's just not as pretty as I'd like. I've set up another on WordPress, which seems to create a much neater layout. Given that I'm mostly doing this in the library, and the WP tutorials require sound, I'll stick with this one for the duration of 23Things, and try and work my way round WordPress on the side. I haven't had any problems with the Cam23 instructions, beyond getting in a muddle when the links don't open in a new window (I've adopted that crazy Dad technique of littering up the desktop with three separate windows open at once).
I'm slightly worried that this process is already causing me to drivel on, and to tell people who aren't interested What I Reckon [nb i tried to embed a Mitchell and Webb sketch here, and failed - will work on that!]

Anyhow: what am I hoping to get out of this? I recently took part in the Arcadia survey which shocked me out of my contented belief that I am fairly web literate. I am in danger of adopting the same approach to the web as I do to mobile phones, and realising that not caring *how* it works may not be the best way to get as many benefits as possible out of it. In terms of what I am happy with, I have been tootling along with facebook for years, and whilst I frankly despise twitter as a social medium, I appreciate its potential for instantanious information delivery. I love RSS feeds, and the concept that a part of my job I dislike (shelving then removing 1000 new books once a week) could potentially be radicalised by a shiny, user-friendly information point with continually updated data makes me very happy :) I do worry that in embracing web technology such as online tutorials and networks, libraries risk making the experience of the arts graduate student even more lonely than it already is, but that is a subject for another time (I have a tannoy announcement to make). Screen shot next (very happy with my Totoro themed dashboard!)

2 comments:

  1. As someone who combines librarianship with part-time historical research, I would love something that made the UL's new book information usable, because I don't currently have time to go through a shelfload or two of dustjacket-less books in the vague hope that one might be relevant. What technology allows me to do is to use my visits to the physical library more effectively (and maybe even allow a bit more time in the tearoom).

    ReplyDelete
  2. The other variety of RSS feeds (really super scones)

    ReplyDelete