Friday 18 June 2010

Thing 6 Google calendar

I used google calendar (and google spreadsheets) as a member of a society, and it was extremely useful for seeing what events had been arranged for when, and by whom. In general, online diaries are great for institutional organisation - in Reader Services, it's a really quick way to check information for readers about event details, or the programme of Research Skills sessions. We use online intranet diaries in our department for arranging rotas, booking leave, and registering events and meetings, so using this as a 'work' calendar would lead to a lot of doubling up (tripling, in fact, as we also have a desk diary! There are definitely benefits to being able to see the 'bigger picture' in a physical diary.)

I already have this function on my gmail account, although I have to confess to being a paper diary person, so I never really update it. I've dutifully added some events just now, though :) The calendar sharing option is interesting - I would have to be careful about making sure some events are kept private, to avoid letting people know exactly where I'll be when (ie out of my house!)

1 comment:

  1. Hello Mr/Ms Whim. As you'll be aware, the Cam23 course has come to its official end. I'm sorry that we seem to have lost you by the wayside somewhere. If you want to follow up the other Things you are very welcome to check through the 23 Things blog, and best wishes.

    ReplyDelete